Yesterday was Independence Day here in the United States. I celebrated independently by staying home and being independent of any risk of exposing myself to the coronavirus.
So while I was having my personal Independence Day celebration (after watching Independence Day, because come on, you have to, and not watching the sequel because once was enough, thank you), I decided to reflect on my personal independence. This list contains some things that go back years, some that I decided on during the lockdown, and a few that I added just yesterday while I was thinking about this subject.
So, in no particular order, I hereby declare (or redeclare) my independence from:
- One-sided friendships
- FOMO (fear of missing out)
- Apologizing for having an opinion
- Uncomfortable shoes
- Explaining why I’m single and childless (because that does not mean there’s something wrong with me)
- Letting other people take credit for my work
- Worrying about what my neighbors think (within reason)
- Being afraid to try new things
- Fad diets
- All nighters (because seriously, I’m too old for that)
And believe me, I don’t miss them.
How about you?