Amanda Cade

Worth It! (Things to try, read, watch, hear, and discuss)

Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 10.51.05 AM

I recently reread Wonder, by R.J. Palacio, for the fourth or fifth time, and the other day I watched the movie for the second. It’s been on my mind this week, especially because of world events that have led me to reflect on the importance of kindness and tolerance. So this week, I wanted to talk about a book (and film) that masterfully examines these important qualities.

The Book

Wonder is one of those books that I find myself constantly recommending. If you’ve read it, you probably already know why. If you haven’t, you really, really should. A 2012 bestseller, the book was written at an appropriate level for young readers, but is a powerful and inspiring experience no matter how old you are. In case you aren’t familiar with it, here’s the concept (from the Amazon product description):

Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 9.18.07 AM

Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 10.53.28 AM.pngWonder is an incredibly powerful story. Every character feels completely authentic, and the reader is completely drawn into the struggles, setbacks, and triumphs that Auggie, his family, and his friends experience. The rotating perspectives continuously add new layers to the story, and the book is far more sophisticated than your average elementary level book. That achievement is worth mentioning again, because it’s such a rare thing. My eight year old niece read, understood, and loved this book, and so did I, and my sister, and my mother.

In telling Auggie’s story, Palacio presents the best and worst in people, showing how both children and adults have the potential to be extraordinarily kind and casually (or spitefully) cruel. And she does it in a way that feels incredibly real. There’s no oversimplified “totally good or totally evil” motif here. The book acknowledges that you can love someone while still sometimes resenting the sacrifices you make for them. It recognizes that going against the crowd is hard, and that not everyone has the strength to do it all the time. It presents that painful truth that we struggle with how to react to someone who is different, and that sometimes those differences are frightening. And rather than chastising us for that truth, the book implies that it’s ok to feel that way, because the important part is how we respond to it.

Wonder is a powerful, thought-provoking book that resonates and stays with you long after you’ve finished it. I really can’t recommend it highly enough.

The Movie

Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 10.55.44 AMI’m always nervous when a book is adapted to film. The vast majority of the time, I’m disappointed, and frequently I’m downright furious. Sometimes, though, the movie gets it right, capturing the essence of the book, adding new dimensions, and making intelligent choices regarding what elements will and won’t translate effectively.

Wonder is one of those movies. The essential plot and thematic elements are all present, and the things that were changed all make sense for the medium, never straying from the heart of the story. It is so clear that the screenplay was written with care, intelligence, and understanding.

The movie does what a movie should do: makes the characters even more real, adds new textures and detail to the story, and enhances the book’s already powerful impact. Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson are brilliant as Auggie’s parents, and Jacob Tremblay (one of the most talented young actors I’ve ever seen) gives a stunning performance as Auggie.

In either form, Wonder is something so, so worth experiencing (or experiencing again).

Oh Dear

Thoughts? Comments? What’s on your mind today?

33 thoughts on “Worth Reading AND Watching: Wonder

1. Thanks Amanda for a great review! Both the book and movie sound interesting. Adding to my reading and watching list! Blessings✨

Liked by 3 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

I think you’re going to really like it.

Liked by 1 person

1. I believe i will. Will come back and share when I finish both 🙂 Thank you!

Liked by 1 person

2. Just finished the movie! What a beautiful, amazing and inspirational story! Your review spot on! Thank you again!!💛

3. Amanda Cade says:

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Liked by 1 person

4. Thanks again! Have a blessed week!

2. Michelle says:

I love this book! My daughter read it in school and loved it and told me to read it. I haven’t seen the movie, yet because I know I’m going to cry! The book make me cry! LOL

Liked by 3 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

The book made me cry, too. So did the movie. I even cried a little while I wrote this post.

Liked by 1 person

3. Another excellent review.

Liked by 3 people

4. Jyo says:

That’s a nice review 👍

Liked by 3 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

Thank you. I was hoping to do it justice. It’s such a great story.

5. shellteacup says:

One for my “to-read” list. Thanks. Xx

Liked by 3 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

I hope you enjoy it!

6. When I was much younger, the primary trait I looked for in women was intelligence. That’s what I married my brilliant second wife for. As it happened, she was also abusive. By the time I left her, I was more attracted to kindness than to intelligence.

Liked by 2 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

Kindness is SO important. Also, I think that intelligent people who aren’t kind are some of the scariest people around, because they can be so clever in their meanness.

7. krcc says:

Thanks for sharing about this book and movie. Surprised I hadnt heard of either.

Liked by 2 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

There’s so much out there that it’s easy to miss something.That’s one of the things I like about the blogging community-so often I become aware of something new. It also gives me a chance to spread the word about things I think are amazing. I hope you’ll take the time to check out Wonder.

8. Love this story! I’ve watched the movie and will definitely buy the book. I love the fact that all the characters gets to tell their side of the story ❤

Liked by 2 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

You’re going to love the book. While the movie hits the really important parts, there’s more development in the book.

1. I’m sure I will love it yes 🙂 I can’t wait

Liked by 1 person

9. thank you for highlighting stories like this. In these times it is important to remember that ultimately we are all in it together and a little kindness can go a long way.

Liked by 2 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

Absolutely! There’s so much negativity around that I think it’s really important to look for positive messages.

10. hiddenzzzzz says:

Till now, Wonder is the only book that made me emotional that I cried while reading many parts. I watched the trailer which made me emotional so I’m sure the movie will make me into tears xD

Liked by 2 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

Stories like this one don’t come along every day. I wish they did…

Liked by 1 person

11. Would you recommend to read the book before the film?

1. Amanda Cade says:

I would, but both are great, so either way it will be a good experience.

1. Awesome. I’ll have a look into it. Thanks 😊

2. Amanda Cade says:

Enjoy! 📚💖

12. Venom123 says:

I love this book

Liked by 2 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

It’s one of my all time favorites! I really think everyone should read it.