Amanda Cade

Worth It! (Things to try, read, watch, hear, and discuss)

coldI think I’ve mentioned, or at least hinted, that I’m prone to sinus infections and bronchitis. So when I started developing symptoms a few weeks ago, I did what I always do and went to the doctor. I took a few sick days, and have been taking medication and getting lots of extra rest, as recovering is a slow process (I was pretty sick at first). Early on, there were a few jokes at work about COVID-19, aka the Coronavirus, but I assured everyone that I didn’t have it, and wasn’t contagious, and we moved on. At that point, no one was actually concerned (except for concern for my health, because my coworkers are nice people).

This past week, we began seeing cases of Coronavirus here in Missouri. Last I checked, we were up to five, with two of them in the St. Louis area, where I live. Colleges have closed campuses, some public schools have extended their spring breaks, and on Friday, the governor declared a state of emergency. In neighboring Illinois, which has more than sixty cases, all public schools are closed until at least March 30.

medicine-thermometer-tablets-pillsMeanwhile, I still have a mild cough and am feeling a little run down. By the middle of last week, I started noticing people looking at me funny. It’s been happening a little at work, and a lot when I’m out in public. I’ve been doing all the right things, like keeping space between myself and others, coughing into a tissue, using hand sanitizer, and so on. I’ve also been preemptively explaining to complete strangers that I’ve been to the doctor, don’t have Coronavirus, don’t have a fever, am not contagious, etc, because I totally get the concern.

Still, it’s a little strange, and so I’ve decided to avoid going out as much as possible, a decision that also makes sense because I still need to fully recover, and I shouldn’t risk exposing myself to new germs. In the meantime, I promise that my cough is just a cough.

are you ok

Is COVID-19 affecting your area, or impacting you in some way?

32 thoughts on “Ordinary Illness in the Time of COVID-19

1. Hey Girl! Yessss that the same thing i’m doing. In my state everybody is buying grocery to have enough food … I Just write post about it on my blog. The post called:
    It’s Mah Feeling! Where I share my thoughts and feelings about it..
    Get well soon Take good care of yourself! ❤️💋

Liked by 2 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

Grocery stores are very busy here, too. A lot of fear and uncertainty. Take care and stay healthy.

2. CARAMEL says:

I feel for you Amanda.
    I had a the beginnings of a cold last week. I managed to have extra sleep and so it dried up in a couple of days. But I work at a medical center and I was terrified to cough.

We have been told that up to 80% of us will catch the virus. It seems very likely that most of us are going to have it. Fry cough and fever seem the main symptoms. At that time they really are asking us to take very seriously the instruction to self-isolate. But we expect that with “normal colds” doing the rounds and hay fever season just ahead a lot of our patients are going to get confused. But we expect a lot of corona cases. I think all of us at work realize we could easily catch it because our job is so public and we need to work out what we will do when staff are off either because they are ill or self-isolating for other reasons.

Liked by 2 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

God bless those of you in the health care industry. I hope you’re able to take care of yourself during this stressful time.

Liked by 3 people

1. CARAMEL says:

I think I am quite calm in a crisis. But it is busy Amanda. Busier than ever.
        From what we know so far, most of us will have a mild illness, and most of us will get it.
        All of the measures that are being taken with regard to hygiene and quarantining are the best possible way to protect our older vulnerable generation for whom this well may be catastrophic.

Liked by 2 people

2. Amanda Cade says:

You and your colleagues are in my thoughts and prayers.

3. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

Hope you have plenty of toilet paper!

Get well soon!

1. Amanda Cade says:

I do, thankfully, and lots of kleenex (two things I always buy in bulk). Hope all is well with you.

1. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

You’re ahead of the game!

I’m doing well. Can’t complain.

4. Siddhesh says:

Oh…Take Care Amanda! I hope you recover as soon as possible and its a great thing that you are sharing your experiences here! Keep it up….admire greatly!

1. Amanda Cade says:

Thanks. I’m a little better every day. Slow process, but it could be much worse, so I’m not complaining.

5. kagould17 says:

Minimizing going our and keeping your distance when you do is likely the best policy. Here in Vancouver, one cough on a bus or the train, sends people looking fora different seat. We are staying off trains and buses as much as possible and going for long walks in the forest. As to the manic buying, what is with people? They certainly put the pan in pandemic. At least everyone will not have a life time supply of TP, which apparently you do not need for COVID 19. Get well soon Amanda. Allan

1. Amanda Cade says:

I’m planning to stick to work and home until the cough is gone. Best to avoid awkward situations.

6. Vera L says:

I love this post. Honestly, I’ve also been clearing my throat and getting weird looks 😂I have to keep giving out disclaimers like you did

Liked by 2 people

1. Amanda Cade says:

Maybe we should get shirts made. Or wear a sign…

Liked by 2 people

1. Blog Lady 77 says:

Or walk through the streets announcing, “Leper … Leper”

Liked by 1 person

7. Hope you start to feel better soon!Thank you for sharing this.

1. Amanda Cade says:

A little better every day. Grateful it isn’t more serious.

8. Travelling Through Wonderland says:

Take care Amanda xoxo

9. Judy Kim says:

I hope you feel better soon. I have a cough too but it’s not corona virus, (I have year round allergies which seem like an illness). Try not to worry about people’s ignorance, they’re paranoid from all the constant media spreading fear. We all need to boost our natural immunity by de-stressing, eating well, hydrating and resting, along with frequent hand washing. My hands are so dry from washing my hands constantly!

1. Amanda Cade says:

I’m not really worried-I just don’t want to scare anyone. There’s definitely a lot of fear out there. I agree with you that it’s important for all of us to be taking care of our health right now. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

10. Well I live in Illinois, so I’m now out of work for 2 weeks (my day job is at a restaurant). Which is fine because I can keep myself occupied until then. I’m not even worried about all this. Just annoyed mostly about all the movies that were postponed. Other than that, I have faith that this will all blow over soon.

1. Amanda Cade says:

St. Louis is going to be closing schools (saw that on the news last night), so I’m wondering if restaurants are next for us, too.

Liked by 1 person

11. An important reminder that not every sneeze is a sign of the zombie apocalypse. We still do get other kinds of ailments. Thank you for this.

1. Amanda Cade says:

A zombie apocalypse would have so many other complications, so things could always be worse, right?

Liked by 1 person

12. Get well soon! And thank you for protecting the health of others!

1. Amanda Cade says:

Feeling better every day, and now my job has officially gone to working from home, so I’ll be staying in until I’m fully recovered. I hope you’re staying safe and healthy.

13. AzureVivacious says:

Take care, and thanks for sharing!

1. Amanda Cade says:

I hope you’re safe and well.

1. AzureVivacious says:

Thanks, we’re hibernating and staying away from people for now.